Friday, April 18, 2014

I DISLIKE FEELING AT HOME WHEN I AM ABROAD

These words are part of the opening scene of Widowers' Houses, in which some of the characters are vacationing at Remagen on the Rhine. Sartorius, who had not introduced himself thus far and is therefore succintly referred to as "The Gentleman," does not share Cokane's sense of excitement about hearing one's mother tongue while abroad.  

THE GENTLEMAN [to Cokane] We are fellow travellers, I believe, sir.
COKANE. Fellow travellers and fellow countrymen. Ah, we rarely feel the charm of our own tongue until it reaches our ears under a foreign sky. You have no doubt noticed that ?
THE GENTLEMAN [a little puzzled] Hm ! From a romantic point of view, possibly, very possibly. As a matter of fact, the sound of English makes me feel at home; and I dislike feeling at home when I am abroad. It is not precisely what one goes to the expense for. 

I guess anyone who has travelled abroad for pleasure can relate to this. 


1 comment:

  1. thank you so much
    I needed this quote for my Essay ...

    ReplyDelete